How to automate a “You have been approved” email using Mailchimp
Automatically send a custom “You have been approved” email to users upon account approval in Tangram using Mailchimp, Zapier, and Tangram
How to send “You have been approved” email using Mailchimp
At A Glance
- Create a Zap in Zapier that tags a user by their role (e.g. “Provider”) in Mailchimp using the Tangram “New User Approved” Webhook
- Create a “Mailchimp Customer Journey” in Mailchimp for that user role that triggers a “Congrats! You have been approved” email when the “Provider” tag has been added to the user.
Create Zap To Tag Mailchimp Subscriber
- Login to your Zapier account and click “+ Create Zap”
- For your Zapier trigger you will want to search for Webhooks by Zapier. Note: Remember to name your Zap something clear like “Approval notification email for providers”.
- Select Catch Hook for the trigger event.
- Copy the Custom Webhook URL that has been provided by Zapier at this step and paste it into the Webhook URL field in your admin settings in the “Webhooks” tab.
- Click “Test Webhook” in Zapier to send test data to Zapier. This test data will be what you use to build your custom email.
- Click “Test Trigger” in Zapier to test that the test data arrived properly from Tangram.
- For your Zapier action you will want to search for Mailchimp.
- For the app event choose “Add/Update Subscriber”
- Select a Mailchimp account and audience. If you have not created a Mailchimp audience yet read how to do so here. You usually only ever need one audience for all your contacts, so it is usually sufficient to have one named something like [your company name] Audience. Fill the “Subscriber Email” field with the email from the test data.
- Tag the Subscriber as a “Provider” or whichever role you want to notify of their approval and click “continue”. You will need to make sure that the “Provider” tag is already created in your Mailchimp account before if will show up in Zapier in the “Tags” field. If you also want to pass the first and last name of the user or other fields to Mailchimp you can also do so in this section.
Note: learn how to split the name of the user into first and last name here.
- Send a test subscriber to your mailchimp account to make sure the Zap works properly. If it is successful you should see a new user in your Mailchimp contacts for the audience you specified with a tag “Provider” (or whichever user role this email is for).
- Turn the Zap on
Create Mailchimp Customer Journey To Automate Notification Email
- Click the “Customer Journeys” tab in Mailchimp under “Automations” on the left-hand side. Click “Create Journey”. Name the journey something clear like “Tangram Approval Notification Email To Providers”.
- Choose a starting point for the customer journey. In this case, we want the starting point to be when the “Provider” or the user tag you created in the earlier steps.
- The next step in the Mailchimp customer journey is to send the “Congrats! You’ve been approved” email. Click “Add a journey point” then select the “Send Email” action.
- Specify To & From Emails, Subject, and Schedule
- Design your email. See how to use the Mailchimp email designer here.
- Hit “Continue” to save and publish your Mailchimp Customer Journey
- Congrats! Your custom email is now set up!